The Family Life Center is a congregational and community ministry of Shades Crest Baptist Church. We encourage a distinctly Christian atmosphere: to help promote good sportsmanship, healthy competition, enhanced family relationships and improved overall physical, mental and spiritual health.
If you are a Shades Crest Baptist Church (SCBC) member or a community member and would like to become a member of the SCBC Family Life Center (FLC), please come by the FLC and complete a membership form and have your picture taken for your membership card.
The Family Life Center (FLC) building is currently closed for all usage due to the health concerns of the Covid-19 virus. If you have any questions concerning the FLC or would like to reserve the FLC parking lot for your Church group, please call the Church office at 205-822-1360. For updates on current FLC conditions, Follow Family Life Center on Twitter and Facebook .
- Shades Crest Community Basketball League: Grades 1-6 coed league with the goals for the children to have fun while learning the fundamentals of basketball, playing in each game, demonstrating sportsmanship and developing a proper view of competition. Games are each Saturday, December – February (no games during Holidays).
- Youth Basketball Teams: Shades Crest sponsors Boys and Girls teams for Middle School and High School that play in the Dawson League (Nov. 26-Feb. 14).
- Gym: Basketball, volleyball, racquetball. All gym usage by groups of 4 or more should be reserved at least 24 hours in advance. The gym is available for individuals at various times. These times change according to group and seasonal events being held at the FLC. You may call 822-1750 to confirm gym availability. See Gym Guidelines
- Game Room: Pool table, table tennis and foosball. See Game Room Guidelines
- Men’s Softball: Spring and Summer Hoover Leagues. Sign-up to play now by calling FLC at 822-1750 or Hardy Green at 613-8379.
- The Fitness Center: Cardio/weight machines and free weights. Open during regular FLC hours. You must complete a Family Life Center registration form and attend an orientation walk-through before your initial use. Call 822-1750 to schedule an orientation. All guests using The Fitness Center must be at least 14 years of age. See Fitness Center Guidelines
- Walking Track: 17 laps around inside of gym equals 1 mile
- Outdoor Running/Walking Course: See course at right. Available for use
- Ladies Wake-Up Workout: Tues. and Wed. 8:05-8:50 am. Join us for a fun, ladies only workout! Start out your day with some great music, great company, and the perfect balance of muscle strengthening and toning, low impact cardio, stretching and core work! Cost is just $6 per class. Bring a friend and join us in the gym. Currently meeting outside in FLC parking lot
Other Fellowship & Mission Opportunities
- Piddlers: Monday – Friday @ 8:00 am, coffee and fellowship. Currently meeting outside in FLC parking lot
- Senior Moments: Mondays, 9 am-Noon, lunch served at 11:30 am. Cost for lunch is $3. Contact Mark Johnson at 822-1360 for more information.
- Women on Mission: First Tuesday of each month, 10 am-Noon
The Fireside Room is a meeting room in the FLC furnished in a home style setting. It is great for small Bible/book studies, teas, class meetings, etc. This area must be reserved in advance by calling 822-1750.
Reserving the FLC
The FLC may be reserved for parties and other family events. See FLC Guidelines
- SCBC Members pay $50 per day. A reservation form is required. A security deposit of $200 is due upon completion of a reservation form. Deposit is returned provided facility is left clean and undamaged.
- Non SCBC members pay $50 per day plus $25 per hour for staffing the event. A security deposit of $200 is due upon completion of a reservation form. Deposit is returned provided facility is left clean and undamaged.