My wife, Ashley, and I joined Shades Crest Baptist Church about 12 years ago. Shortly after, we found out that Ashley was pregnant with our first child, Ford. At that point, we were not too far removed from our college days and were not well established with our jobs. Because of that, we were not financially strong and the birth of our first child would cause additional financial strain. However, we both had the desire to tithe, but we knew we wouldn’t have enough money to tithe and care for our family…at least not at that time. So, we decided that we had to start with something and then make plans to increase our giving each year until we were tithing. Since we made it a priority, it wasn’t long before we were tithing. In no way am I saying it was easy, but we took the following steps to making it a reality for us, and maybe these could come in handy for you.
- Read what the Bible has to say about tithes and offerings, as well as being good stewards of our time and money.
- Pray for guidance and wisdom in determining how much money to give the church – both now and in the future.
- Start by giving something – say $20 per week.
- Make plans to increase giving each year until you have reached tithing.
- Build a budget to help you manage your finances, which includes your plans for increasing the amount you give to the church.
- Pray that your gifts are multiplied and used to further God’s Kingdom.
- Experience the joy of giving and the deepening impact on your walk with Christ.
Finance Committee Chair